Nasrin Sotoudeh, Amirsalar Davoudi, Khosrow Alikordi, Mohammad Najafi, Saleh Nikbakht: their names resonate as symbols of a relentless struggle against oppression and the violation of fundamental rights in Iran. These lawyers, known for their tireless defence of human rights, face immense risks in their fight for justice.
On 24 January, the International Day for Lawyers in Danger was marked by an unprecedented international mobilisation, dedicated this year to the alarming situation of lawyers in Iran. Bars from all over the world, from France to Italy, from the United States to the farthest reaches of Asia, joined forces in round tables, conferences and demonstrations to highlight the threats faced by Iranian lawyers in the exercise of their profession.
The Nantes Bar Association hosted a conference where Iranian lawyer Ghasem BOEDI gave a precious summary of his experience.
A remarkable show of solidarity took place within the international legal community on this day. „We are all united in this fight for justice,“ declared a lawyer present at the rally in Paris in front of the embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran, embodying the spirit of the day.
Blatantly denying the fundamental principles of justice, the government of the Islamic Republic shows no hesitation in trampling on the rights of the defence. In addition to appointing lawyers linked to the authorities to political prisoners, human rights lawyers are regularly obstructed in their work.
Iranian lawyers have faced considerable challenges in guaranteeing the right to a fair trial and the rights of the defence. In some cases, they have been arbitrarily arrested, imprisoned and sometimes tortured.
The international legal community showed its determination to support Iranian lawyers in their fight for justice and equality. Beyond the International Day for Lawyers in Danger, this solidarity will continue to take part in concrete actions aimed at ensuring respect for the fundamental rights of lawyers throughout the world.
The International Observatory for Lawyers in Danger would like to thank its members for their unwavering commitment and their essential contributions to this significant day. United, we continue to fight for justice.
Join us in supporting this essential cause.
Gathering of the Lyon Bar Association, France
Choir at the conference of the Verona Bar Association, Italy
Click here to find out more about the OIAD members‘ commitment to the International Day for Lawyers in Danger 2024.
- Exhibition opening „Faces of Freedom“ at the Court of Appeal of Aix-en-Provence, France
- Paris Bar Association and Conseil National des Barreaux Français rally in front of the Iranian embassy in Paris, France, attended by Pierre Hoffman (President of the Paris Bar), Vincent Nioré (former Vice-President of the Paris Bar), Vanessa Bousardo (Vice-President of the Paris Bar) and Julie Couturier (President of the CNB), France
- Panel discussion on the situation of lawyers in Iran at the Lyon Bar, France
- Margaret Satterthwaite, Special Rapporteur on the Independence of Judges and Lawyers, Baroness Helena Kennedy, Director of IBAHRI and Javaid Rehman, Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Islamic Republic of Iran at the IBAHRI Conference organised with the Geneva Bar, OIAD and The Law Society of England and Wales „Human Rights Violations in Iran: The Role of Lawyers“, in London, United Kingdom
- Solidarity march by lawyers at the Turin Bar, Italy
- Francesco Caia, former President of the CNF Human Rights Commission, Barbara Bonafini, lawyer at the Bar of Verona, and Leonardo Arnau, coordinator of the CNF Human Rights Commission, Verona, Italy
- Conference at the Verona Bar Association, Italy
- Conference at the Rome Bar Association with Francesco Greco, President of the Consiglio Nazionale Forense, Rome, Italy
- Panel discussion organised by the Lille Bar in partnership with the OIAD, France
- IBAHRI Conference „Human Rights Violations in Iran: The Role of Lawyers“, attended by the Special Rapporteur on the Independence of Judges and Lawyers Margaret Satterthwaite, London, United Kingdom